Download Error - Checksum / Unknown File
If your download of TERA has paused and is displaying a "CheckSum" error on the download bar you may just need to let the TERA Launcher sit for a few minutes. This error may display for a brief period but disappear when the launcher is allowed to just work through the error. If your download of TERA has stalled completely with a "CheckSum" error then please try the following below:
If you are receiving "Unknown File Error", please visit the appropriate FAQ for that issue: http://support.enmasse.com/tera/unknown-file-error.
- Delete and Restore the "game.version" File.
- Run a Repair.
- Run the TERA Launcher in Debug Mode to Help Support Determine the Issue.
- Download the TERA Patch Files Directly.
We have received reports that temporarily deleting the "game.version" file from your TERA folder, then restoring it from your recycle bin has successfully bypassed the "Checksum" download error.
First, please verify that your recycle bin is not set to delete files immediately when placed into the recycle bin.
- Right Click on your Recycle Bin.
- Click on "Properties".
- Verify that the option "Don't move files to the recycle bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" is not checked.
Once you have completed the steps above, please do the following:
- Right Click on your TERA Launcher shortcut.
- Click "Open File Location". This will open the exact folder that TERA is installed into.
- Right Click on your the game.version file and click Delete.
- Open your Recycle Bin.
- Right Click on the game.version file and choose Restore.
This should allow you to bypass the CheckSum error. If you are still experiencing the issue please attempt the other troubleshooting steps in this FAQ.
Download the TERA Patch Files Directly.
If your download of TERA has stalled and will not continue you may need to download the TERA files directly through a ZIP file. To do that please read below. Please note that this is strictly a work-around as we pursue the root cause and permanently fix this issue.
In order to attempt this work-around, you must have the following.
- TERA-Launcher installed. To do this, follow the steps below. You do not need to start the launcher, but you must have it installed.
- A File Archiving program such as 7-Zip or WinZip. DO NOT USE DEFAULT WINDOWS UNZIPPING TOOL.
We recommend you also have a Download Manager such as DAP. Since the download is so large there is a greater chance for error during the download process itself. By having a Download Manager this helps reduce the risk of such an error which would cause you to have to start downloading the files again. You can find a comparison of Download Manager programs on Wikipedia.
If you have installed DAP you can read about how to start downloading with that program at the end of this FAQ.
With the Launcher and a file archiving program installed, please continue to the step by step process below.
- Uninstall TERA if it is Currently Installed.
- Install TERA-Launcher by Going to account.enmasse.com and Clicking "Download Game".
- Double Click the Setup.exe File That Was Downloaded.
- Go Through the Installation Process of the launcher. Do not double click the launcher after theI installation finishes and uncheck the box that says "Launch TERA upon exit".
- If you attempting to update to the most recent patch please download http://patch.tera.enmasse-game.com/temp/Game_39to40.zip. If you have not downloaded TERA before, is currently not installed, or you have not updated in since one of the CBTs than please go to http://patch.tera.enmasse-game.com/temp/Game_-1to40.zip and download the file. This will take a little while as the file is over 20GB.
- When the download finishes, navigate to the download destination folder (default is C:\Users\your user name\Downloads if downloaded through a browser).
- Unzip these files by right clicking on your "Game.zip" file. Then click on "7-Zip" and "Extract to Game.rar". Game.zip will be whichever file you chose to download from Step 5.
- Doubleclick on the file. This will then show you a sub folder with the same name. Righ click on this folder and click Cut.
- Paste the folder into the TERA folder. (Default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\TERA for 64 bit version of Windows and C:\Program Files\TERA for 32 bit versions of Windows).
- Start the TERA-Launcher.
After you complete these steps and start the TERA-Launcher a few things will happen. The launcher will download a quick patch and restart. The launcher will display "Checking Download" which may take a few moments. Once that is complete it will "Apply the Patch" and download a bit more.
When your "Play" button is available to be clicked, click it. You should now be able to launch the full game client!
You can install the free version of DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) from their website at http://www.speedbit.com/. Once the program is installed all you will need to do is launch it from your Start Menu in Windows. With the program open you will want to do the following.
- Click on the "Downloads" tab in DAP.
- Click on the green plus icon that says "Add.
- This will open a new box. In this box copy and paste the download location that you want to use. Copy and paste http://patch.tera.enmasse-game.com/temp/Game_39to40.zip if you are attempting to download the most recent patch or http://patch.tera.enmasse-game.com/temp/Game_-1to40.zip to download all patch files.
- Press OK.
- Click Save.
- Choose the location to save the .zip file. This can be any location that you prefer, as long as you remember where it is!
- The patch files will now save to the location that you selected.
- Go back up to step 6 in the "Download TERA Patch" portion of this FAQ.